Read our mission to ensure your work is a good fit. Read back issues to get acquainted with the journal. All work is published online biannually (spring & fall). We proudly nominate six authors each year for the Pushcart Prize, two poets for the Best New Poets anthology, up to eight flash pieces for the Best Microfiction anthology, and up to four debut short stories for the PEN/Robert J. Dau Short Story Prize for Emerging Writers.
- Journal submissions are closed from May 15th-Aug 15th. Reviews remain open year round.
- We do not accept previously published material.
- We accept unsolicited simultaneous submissions. Update your submission’s status in Submittable if accepted elsewhere; never email.
- A brief cover letter is helpful but not required.
- We encourage, but don’t require, web formatted prose (no indents, single-spaced, one space between paragraphs).
- We respond generally within three months. Message us through Submittable if longer than six months; never email.
- The honorarium for publication is $25 dependent on successful completion of a W-9 form or W-8 BEN per IRS reporting requirements.
- We ask for first serial rights and the right to keep a copy of the publication in our archives. All other rights revert back to the author after publication.
- We ask that authors mention that the work saw first publication in Newfound for future reprints.
- Send 15 to 30 pages of poetry. Please include no more than one poem per page.
- Simultaneous submissions and previously published poems are acceptable.
- All entries must be sent online via our submission manager and be contained in a single document.
- The author’s name should not appear in the document (.docx).
- A non-refundable $15 reading fee must accompany your work. If our reading fee is prohibitive, email editor [at] newfound [dot] org for a manuscript fee waiver. We can offer a few a year.
- Students (past and present), relatives, and close friends of the judge are ineligible.
We no longer accept review copies through Submittable--we work directly with publishers and authors. Thank you for your understanding.
Newfound publishes reviews of books, film, television, music, art, etc. We aim to write reviews that are critical, complex, creative, and culturally-minded. Experimental and hybrid forms welcome, as well as works that deal with multiple texts or objects.
If you are interested in writing a review for us, submit a query. We maintain a list of titles we would like reviewed, but do accept suggestions. Please include a short author bio (2-3 lines) and examples of your writing. If you would like to review a specific title, include a brief description of the work and why you think it fits (1-2 paragraphs).
Please keep in mind that submission does not guarantee review. We receive many more submissions than we are able to publish.
If you want to send a review, please submit to our reviews editors here: https://newfound.submittable.com/submit/1427/reviews