Please read our mission to ensure your work is a good fit. Read back issues to get acquainted with the journal. All work is published online bi-annually (spring & fall) and considered for our annual print issue (winter). Those selected for print will receive one contributor’s copy. We proudly nominate six of our authors every year for the Pushcart Prize.
- We accept submissions year round.
- We do not accept previously published material.
- We accept unsolicited simultaneous submissions, given that you promptly update your submission's status if accepted elsewhere.
- A brief cover letter is helpful but not required.
- We respond generally within three months. Contact us if longer than four months.
- We would pay if we could, but we can't at this time.
- We ask for first serial rights and the right to keep a copy of the publication in our archives. All other rights revert back to the author after publication.
- We ask that authors mention that the work saw first publication in Newfound for future reprints.
Newfound welcomes short stories and self-standing novel excerpts of any length.
Looking to publish flash fiction, micro fiction, or hybrid work? Submit your lovelies to our Flash Fiction section: https://newfoundjournal.submittable.com/submit/23333
Looking to publish short stories, essays, or self-standing novel excerpts? Submit your work to our Fiction (https://newfoundjournal.submittable.com/submit/1423) or Nonfiction sections (https://newfoundjournal.submittable.com/submit/1426).
Newfound publishes reviews of books, film, television, music, art, and more that are both timely and relevant to our audience. We like reviews that are critical, complex, creative, and culturally-minded. Reviews should consider at least one object of culture that has been recently published (within the last year) or is forthcoming. Please send work that is double-spaced, 500-5000 words in length, and includes a short author bio.
If you want Newfound to review your work please submit it here with a brief description of the work and a note that you would like it reviewed.
If you want Newfound to publish your work, please submit to the appropriate section.
Newfound welcomes translated work of any length or genre. More specifically, fiction can be stories or self-standing novel excerpts of any length. As for poetry, we will consider submissions of up to 6 poems totaling no more than 10 pages.
Include the work in its source
language and any permissions necessary to publish both. You are welcome to include the URL of the original if published online in full, which we might simply link to.
Please submit a bio of the original author along with the bio of the translator.
We welcome all visual media, in color and black& white, that explores how place shapes identity, imagination, and understanding.. We consider photography, photojournalism, paintings, drawings, film, video stills, installations and sculpture.
When submitting, a short description of the idea behind the work is helpful, though not necessary. Similarly, captions are helpful where appropriate.
Please take a moment to look at previous artists to get a feel for what Newfound is looking for.
Currently, we are looking for volunteers to fill the following positions at Newfound:
- Assistant Reviews Editor
- Staff Writers
- Public Relations
- Grant Writers
- Copy Editor
- Podcast Editor
- Video Editor
Interested? Don’t see your ideal position but still want to join the team? Send a letter of interest and résumé.
- Submit 15 to 60 double-spaced pages of prose (fiction or nonfiction).
- Simultaneous submissions and previously published work are acceptable.
- All entries must be submitted online via our submission manager and be contained in a single document.
- The author’s name should not appear in the document (.doc or .docx).
- A non-refundable $15 reading fee must accompany your submission.
- Students (past and present), relatives, and close friends of the judge are ineligible.